OPC is Canada's only repertory opera company. We perform more frequently than most other small opera companies (up to 20 per season!). This allows members of our company unparalleled opportunities for gaining experience on stage, whether singing a lead role, a supporting role, or simply enjoying the thrill of taking part as chorus in one of the greatest operas ever written.
OPC is unique in Canada - reason enough to become a member! However, the opportunity for singers to perform leading roles, multiple times, in fully staged productions is rare, and worth every penny of our membership fee!
OPC is privately owned and operated by its members, under artistic director Richard Williams. As such, OPC is not in receipt of any government grants, corporate sponsorship, or major private funding. We are entirely self-financed.
Currently, our membership fee is set at $40/mo.
This is paid monthly - it is NOT a drop-in fee. Monthly payments must be sustained, regardless of attendance (unless the singer elects to leave the company).
Other duties and expectations of membership are:
- Active participation in set up and strike for every performance.
- Participation as chorus on nights that they are not scheduled to sing one of their roles.
- Regular attendance at weekly rehearsals. Rehearsals are usually on Sunday nights 7:00pm - 9:00pm when no performance is scheduled; however we occasionally rehearse on the Thursday night before a performance.
- Ongoing and consistent recruitment of new members.
- Ongoing and consistent effort to promote the company to potential audience.